It shall be the mission of First Step Services, LLC to provide the best practice community-based mental health and substance use treatment services to help all persons served to meet their full potential as independent and fully productive individuals.
First Step Services is a NCDHHS licensed facility for the treatment of mental health and substance use disorders. Our facility aims to address the needs of the person served by providing assistance with issues caused by mental health and substance use disorders. Our mission is one of quality person centered care and the ability to provide education and other resources to the person served, their families and significant others. First Step Services strives to utilize best practices while providing outpatient mental health and substance use disorder treatment and intensive outpatient services for substance use disorders in the community. Our goal is to make treatment services as accessible as possible and to reduce as many barriers to treatment as possible throughout the Triangle region of North Carolina.
First Step Services strives to employ personnel that have the ability to treat the person served with unconditional positive regard and respect. Our clinical personnel is highly trained and demonstrate an ability to provide excellent person centered care inline with our mission statement. We strive to provide an environment conducive to personal and professional growth for our personnel.
The objectives of our mission are achieved in the following manner:
- Provide direct services, education, support and advocacy for persons served and their families or significant others.
- Meet the individual needs of the person served without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disabilities, Veteran status, or ability to pay.
- Respect for the person served as well as their families and significant others as individuals while assuring their right for confidentiality, respect and dignity.
- Maintain high standards of professional practice leading to the highest quality of care.
- Person centered treatment plans to meet the specific needs of the person served.
- Be prompt and professional when responding to stakeholder needs while maintaining HIPAA compliance.
- Promote and encourage professional growth of all personnel.
- Utilize input from the person served, personnel and stakeholders in the decision making process whenever possible.
What is the philosophy of treatment?
- Simply stated, First Step’s goal is to help clients never have another problem related to mental health, drugs or alcohol use.
- We help clients prevent future family, legal, school, job, social problems to name a few.
- We assist clients to manage current problems in a manner that, when the treatment plan is followed, leads to the best possible outcomes.
- First Step Services uses a holistic model of treatment, which is based on the understanding that bio-psycho-social-mental-spiritual and volitional factors affect substance use and addiction.
- Our program includes special components to enhance the development and growth in each of these areas and is individualized to meet the specific recovery needs of each patient.
- Our program is highly compatible with 12 step programs and we support 12-step program attendance during and after treatment.
- First Step utilizes a variety of therapy modalities that center on helping patients make immediate changes in their lives and supporting on-going recovery and wellness.
- First Step further believes that addiction is a family disease and that the effects are multi-generational.
- Family members and significant others are important in the recovery process and are included when available (with the patients’ permission) in the treatment experience when appropriate.
- Please feel free to attend our weekly program for friends and family members. The F.A.C.E. program meets weekly (currently on hiatus) and there is no charge. Participants may attend as many times as they choose. Breaking the cycle of addiction is possible.
Who will benefit from the program?
- The outpatient program is designed for those individuals who need treatment and/or education for substance abuse.
- It is available for those who have experienced negative consequences from alcohol and/or drug use and do not want to continue to use.
- A person does not have to have a diagnosis or admit to addiction or alcoholism to participate in the program.
- Additionally, persons with a dual diagnosis of mental illness and addiction may benefit from participation, provided that they have been stabilized and are seeing a mental health professional or physician for the co-existing disorder.
- Substance use and misuse often have a negative effect on the individual, the family, and loved ones.
- This program centers on treatment for patients with the understanding that involving significant others in the recovery process often enhances wellness. Substance abuse is treated as a health-care concern at First Step Services, LLC.
- Patients are often encouraged to invite significant others to attend family sessions. This is not mandatory and is done so at the discretion of the staff and the patient. The patient must give consent before anyone else accompanies him/her to a session.
Assessment, Placement and Referral/Contact with outside Professionals
- Each patient shall receive a comprehensive assessment to determine a diagnosis and recommended level of care.
- The purpose of the substance use assessment is to identify the individual’s reasons for seeking services, to clarify what each individual needs and prefers related to seeking services and to ensure the highest quality of care that we can provide to each individual participating in our program.
- Maintaining contact with other professionals, such as attorneys, doctors, therapists, etc. who are involved in the participant’s treatment or care is often beneficial to the participant.
- It is often especially useful to maintain contact with physicians, therapists, probation officers, and attorneys.
- However, this contact is only done so with the participant’s signed consent.
- First Step Services, LLC strictly follows all Federal and State guidelines on protecting your confidentiality.
- We cannot, and will not, share your information with anyone except staff members who need to know unless you give us written requests to do so or if it is determined that there is a danger to yourself or others.
- We are also required to report any evidence of child abuse or elder abuse. These are all rare.
- Please read the entire Confidentiality Statement that you were given at your initial intake. If you don’t have a copy, just ask any staff member.